Home Away From Home
Summer and the festive season are but a few weeks away – now’s the time to prepare short-stay rentals for guests.
For many landlords the summer and festive season is the peak time of year for their vacation rentals – be it leasing out their holiday homes or switching their regular rentals (often student housing) to short-term.
Whether beachside, forest retreat or city central, the time is right to get the property prepared for guests.
Step one: make sure maintenance is up-to-date. If the house is not rented out over the cooler months make sure to check for damp and rust.
Step two: give the home a thorough clean (consider calling in the professionals).
Step three (the fun bit): take inspiration from the latest interior design trends to give the property a summertime facelift.
Updating soft furnishings is the easiest way to revitalise a space. If you want the rental to be au courant, make a note of these trends before hitting the shops.
What’s in for 2017:
- Dark timber
- Dark green (complements the Scandi vibe and can bring the outdoors in)
- Upholstered bedheads
- Nooks to escape digital distraction (think floor cushions, pillows, rugs and throws)
- Jewel tones (inspired by metals, space, stars, clouds and the cosmos)
- Desert chic (prints, cacti and Moroccan patterns)
- Recycling (reusing, repurposing and upcycling)
- Artisan (tactile fabrics and patterns, embroidery, felt, knitting, crochet; handmade items)
Of course, you need to make sure the property has the basics covered:
- Bedroom: two full sets of high-quality sheets and covers for each bed
- Bathrooms: 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths per guest
- Pool/beach: 2 beach towels per guest
- Kitchen: enough glasses, china, cutlery for each guest; a stock of tea towels, tablecloths and napkins
- Living areas: cushions, throws and blankets, vases for flowers, books and magazines
Before you list the property for holiday rentals, it’s a good idea to check your landlord insurance to make sure you are covered. RentCover offers a tailored product just for short term rentals, so talk to us about a policy before the first guests arrive to relax into the freshly plumped cushions!